Open Ended Questions
Using open ended questions in conversations will require a response longer than a single word and can easily lead to a more in depth interaction.
- What did you do today?
- How do you like to spend your free time?
- What do you think about [a news story/sports team/etc]?
- What do you like and/or dislike about living in ______?
- Tell me about your biggest pet peeves.
- What motivates you?
- What do you like and/or dislike about [school/your job/etc]?
- How did you get interested in [name of hobby or sport/etc]?
- Tell me about your relationship with your family.
- What are your plans for the weekend?
- Where do you see yourself in [a year/3 years/5 years/etc]?
- What do you plan to do after you [graduate/retire/etc]?
- What would you do if [you won the lottery/lost your phone/etc]?
- Describe your ideal [spouse/job/home/etc].
- If you could change one thing about [yourself/your past] what would you change?
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
- What was your [childhood/high school experience/college experience/etc] like?
- What happened after I left last night?
- How did you meet [host/mutual friend/signifigant other]?
- What is your favoirte [vacation experience/season/book/movie/childhood memory/etc] and why?